With the beginning of the "modern era," circa 1500, Garden "art" bloomed and green facades escaped their usefulness except for on the private monastery walls. In the new, serious landscaped gardens of the nobility, cantilevered arbors, pergolas and green walls were being planted. In the kitchen gardens, trellis fruit played a major role. It was first cultivated on wooden trellises, then later emerged on particularly artful and elaborate"trellises".
After the step from the private monastery gardens to the aristocratic gardens, wall greening spread even further. Estates and large farms were greening and also even simple day laborers cottages. Thus, in many regions of Germany each homestead had its trellises, most planted with vines. Soon, new climbing plants had been introduced and cultivated, Virginia Creeper (1629) and Thicket Creeper , the Trumpet vines (1640) and Wild grapevines (1656). In England, already in c. 1650, Clematis species played a role.
Building greening took place during this time primarily with wooden trellises. Depending on the region, various designs were used but the lath trellis of classic design dominated. Modelled on a garden fence: horizontal bars with vertical slats, especially in the Baroque era, the trellis construction was elaborately flowered, the so-called "Treillagen".
Long before the now customary building greening systems, wire was used in the Baroque era to hoist espalier fruit up. It was more durable than textile cords. Thus, the term "string tree" for wall fruit originated. The copper wire was then made in the water-powered wire forges. The fruit grew sometimes in specially glassed Talut walls, as in Potsdam Sancoussi 1745. Built in 1747 under Frederick the Great.