Sunny (full sun) to semi-shaded Position, soils that are not too dry and have a good humus content are recommended for all species.
A scrambler, moderate growth, also spreading sideways, overhanging arching branches, long shoots, forming long cascading trains. Small, dark green, evergreen glossy leaves, some leaves with partial yellow autumn colour, remaining winter foliage bronze coloured.
- Cotoneaster over a low embankment retaining wall
- Cotoneaster cascading over the balustrade wall of a basement garage
Abundance of small, star shaped flowers in June, pea-sized red fruit lasting far into winter. “Coral Beauty” has better ornamental fruit ie fruiting is more likely to occur.
Usually not required, but occasionally Light Growth Support Systems to assist with guidance and attaching.
Usually not required.
- Skogholm Bearberry covering the rocks of a retaining wall
- Cotoneaster pruned to shape over a house entrance
- Cotoneaster trains over a garage entry