Semi-shaded to shaded Position, acid to neutral soil with plenty of humus, definitely moist or even wet soil. Soil compaction and lime are not well tolerated.
Sticker which climbs with the help of adhesive aerial rootlets, growth rate and height less than ivy. Foliage from April / May until end of October, yellow autumn colouring. Very decorative red-brown shoots in winter.
- Facade Greening with Climbing Hydrangea
Large, flat umbels in June/July, starlike peripheral (sterile) flowers, open for a long time. Fruit: inconspicuous capsules.
Some additional wires for attaching and guidance recommended. For suitable support systems refer below. Light and Medium, also Heavy Duty Support Systems.
Primarily in spring, encourages branching of the long shoots.
- Horizontal wire rope to attach and guide several climbing hydrangea, here 4mm strong and with brackets WM 12153
- Occasional pruning / trimming is necessary to encourage branching of the long shoots
- Climbing hydrangea on a downpipe
- Each of these climbing hydrangea is attached to two vertical wire ropes and their shapes are well maintained through vigorous summer pruning.
- Autumn colours
- Vertical wire rope system
- Bare, trimmed branches of a climbing hydrangea on a timber espalier in winter